Photobucket
the gravity.
Sunday, November 30, 2008
All things must somehow come to an end eventually, and the recently-ended exam crunch time was no exception. If there was any lesson that I’ve learnt through this experience of assesment, it has to be the following 2 things: to give your best in any occasion and to secondly have no regrets because you know, the exact same thing will be done, if you had to resit the same paper again. At the end of the day, we can’t really do much except to hope and pray that it was what they wanted and what you needed to be among those who are comfortable and satisfied with their standing. I have not much of a choice because this is the path that I’ve chosen, certainly not an easy one for me but I know I have to continue and persevere. I’ve mentioned this to many people, and I strongly feel the importance to do well, for opportunities to be made e available in university to further alleviate our education experience.

If I could classify people into 2 defined categories, it would be those who had it easy and those who had to struggle. Let’s just face it, it’s really inevitable that some of us are rather blessed to have the easier route at times more than others. While there are some of us who have to struggle, there are certainly some who don’t.

That was the thought that struck me as I was writing my responses to my final geography paper that I sat for last Saturday.

It made me realise the gravity of the situation I’m in. I do know how big a deal it is for me to be in NUS, but exactly how large the magnitude is for me to be sitting in one of the examination halls, penning my thoughts for answers in a geography paper is truly overwhelming.

What it means to me? Not too long ago, would I have thought that I would be here, would I have thought that I’ve come this far. I still remember clearly when I was 6 years old, sitting in the halls of South View Primary, waiting for my parents to carry out the bidding process to enroll me in the school as I was the eldest. But, of course I wasn’t that fortunate to be given a chance to study there due to the immense number of applicants available. They did however, managed to secure me a spot in a newly build school, located within close proximity to my home. And that was where I began my formal education, nothing really spectacular but with humble beginnings.

It was my parents. I saw them, put their effort in ensuring me an important education. They were not thinking for themselves, they were not thinking about leading a successful life, they were not thinking of money, but more importantly they thought of ensuring a better generation after them. The life they never had, the life they have always envied looking at the success of others - the life worth every drop of sweat and effort to ensure a good foundation for education. And they didn’t stop there. They were involved in my education process, they came for every art exhibition I was in, they supported every concert I played, they advised me, they encouraged me, they guided and motivated me. Although they didn’t have the qualified skills and knowledge, they still do at all costs - putting my interest before theirs. They were there when I told them how sad I was to be in guards – tearing in the dorms of bedok camp, they were there to console me when I was disappointed with my A’levels, they were there to witness my award presentation ceremony in the army for best commander and more importantly, they were always there when I needed them the most. And for that, I’m grateful and truly thankful for raising me to be a fine gentleman.

I don’t think they envisioned me to be in NUS when I was celebrating my fourth birthday, (when I was still requesting for lego sets), but it was their sheer determination and prayers that helped me through this journey. I saw through my parents eyes when the family was faced with harsh situations, when the house had no electricity, when my dad had to sleep bearing all the worries of feeding the family, the worries of having possibly the car being towed, the worries of insufficient money for school. They never did, not even once let the issue of money deny our education opportunities.

And I was truly fortunate to have a great set of friends who helped me through, although they didn’t really have the full picture. I was truly blessed to have an old mathematics tutor for o-levels who helped me bear the cost of the tuition fees and I was truly grateful to have teachers like Ms Leong, from acjc who gave me the opportunity to travel to switzerland for a band competition, by loaning me a sum of money to pay the school. I can still remember her words to me, which was to continue to work and study hard so that my parents will never ever have to experience the state they were in ever again. And that truly, touched my heart.

So, how big is this to me? It is huge. Because I felt the struggle, the hardship and the challenges to get to where I am. Although these challeges may seem trivial and nothing as compared to others, I still do stand firmly that I have a lot of be thankful for.

I didn’t have the smoother path, the path scattered with roses. I never had stuff served on a silver platter. I never had great luck. I fight, and survive. Without a strong family support, friends and teachers who shaped my formitive years in secondary, jc and army, and more importantly, His grace, I don’t think I could have survived thus far.

I want to look back at this post in future, to make me realise, to make me truly understand the finer things in life, to evoke a sense of gratefulness for the people around me who have in many ways than one made me a better person. It is not the brand of lap top I use that define me, it is not the kind of clothes I wear that define me, it is not the amount of money that I have in my bank account that defines me. But it is people, close to my heart that do so.

As I am typing this post, I can’t help but feel sadden at the state of some of my relatives and family members because I know they can all do it – be contented, leading a potentially successful life, for obvious reasons we grew up in almost similar environments. I just can’t help but feel disappointed that I’m helpless in this matter. Education, amidst every other things is essential and perhaps the most important factor that keeps us out of this vicious – non developing social cycle.

I want to do more, to give people the opportunity to re-discover their present for the future, to give children, whose parents neglect, the guidance and assistance. And more importantly, educate parents of the need to put all baggage aside, to be serious, to be dedicated in bringing their children up to become better generations than themselves. Our social fabric is at stake, and when I mean social – it refers to solely my community. We can’t be simply contented living life from day to day, we just can’t.

Is it just sufficient to groom the top percentage of the community while paying lesser attention to the rest. Workable solutions are what we need. More has to be done. But are we? I think we all do know the answer. Measures have to be more than just drama serials attempting to reflect the situations of the present – don’t you think we already know about that? Everyone in the community is responsible, if we really do want change.

I really don’t understand, how we did it, but did it anyhow..as we lie in bed each night, knowing what was going on, but never really give much thought to addressing the pressing issues.

Conclusively, I am just hoping that things would change for the better. It is never in my interest to have the sight of people who can’t and will not be bothered to spare a minute or two thinking of the future (meaning long-term) and how their present actions could affect them in time to come.


comment? (0)

info
thegreentomato
title: theGreenTomato
best viewed: firefox
profile
mateen
oh hello there!
check out the time :)
talkbox
chitter chatter

Free chat widget @ ShoutMix

brought to youu by shoutmix! shoutmix

links
get connected
caroL
aisyah
samMantha
fyEdee

archives
history
May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009

credits
thank you
Design Joanna
Resources 1 2 3 4