musical diplomacy
Saturday, May 31, 2008

Check this out:
Apparently the NY Philharmonics held a concert in North Korea, some time back, in the hope that it will “strengthen” the bilateral ties between the 2 nations – a move which I thought was great! The concert was seriously superb! I caught it on CNN recently and as I was watching, there was this particular song which seemed pretty familiar. As I checked it out, I realized it was Arirang – a Korean Folk Song played by as a full orchestral piece. The reason it sounded very familiar was because we played it before! Remember, Variations on a Korean Folk Song Suite?? Yeah, this version with the orchestra is really enchanting and rich in beautiful tones as well as chords. (youtube this videoclip!)
Another great example of how music can bridge nations.
Apparently the NY Philharmonics held a concert in North Korea, some time back, in the hope that it will “strengthen” the bilateral ties between the 2 nations – a move which I thought was great! The concert was seriously superb! I caught it on CNN recently and as I was watching, there was this particular song which seemed pretty familiar. As I checked it out, I realized it was Arirang – a Korean Folk Song played by as a full orchestral piece. The reason it sounded very familiar was because we played it before! Remember, Variations on a Korean Folk Song Suite?? Yeah, this version with the orchestra is really enchanting and rich in beautiful tones as well as chords. (youtube this videoclip!)
Another great example of how music can bridge nations.
music lives only when notes fly off the page
and soar into glorious notes
and soar into glorious notes
comment? (0)
